Person of Colour

Written By bryanboy

Yesterday was quite fruitful. I went to the chiropractor, got my hair trimmed, went to a couple of meetings, had ‘after work’ cocktails with the bf before making chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Bryanboy at Zink Stockholm
One of the things I love about dressing up is making your own individual look based on your personality, feelings and emotions. It’s also fun and exciting to see how your surroundings react to your look. Instead of letting people be voyeurs peeking into your life, you watch them back. Think of it as a social experiment. Some will praise you, some will be horrified, but no matter what people’s reactions are, you stand by your look because it’s uniquely you.

Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than allowing myself to be influenced by my environment on what or how I should dress. When I decorate my body like a Christmas tree, put things on my body, I put things because I like them. Not because it’s ‘appropriate’, not because ‘it looks good’ (to who? the wearer or the eye of the beholder?), etc. I like the guilt-free feeling of not caring what others would say. I wish I could say I’m a strong person but I’m not — 99% of the time I don’t care but when that 1% strikes, it’s a mindfuck!

For instance, I wore my head-to-toe orange and red look a few days ago and boy, I looked like the sore thumb. On the surface, I liked it, yes. I’m no stranger to looks — it DOES feel good when people point, gawk and stare at me whenever I’m in, say, New York, Milan or Paris… but in monochromatic Scandinavia? Suddenly, I felt bad.

What happens when you stick someone who likes to stand out and place him or her in a society where people deliberately make the conscious effort to blend in? Standing out and looking different from everybody else suddenly becomes less challenging. It becomes easy. Way too easy.

How do you go from there? What is more challenging to the person who doesn’t like to conform? To conform or not to conform?

I ended up wearing different shades of very dark blue.

6 Comments

  1. When I first read this post I was hooked from the start. You are you and you should only wear what you like and what makes you happy, because at the end of the day the your worst critic is yourself. So if what you wear pleases yourself, then you have pleased the #1 critic yourself……if that makes any sense lol

    But I love you and keep doing you…
    -Brittney

  2. Fea Omer

    Love this post. It definitely gave me the confidence to be myself and have fun with fashion, even when sometimes it struck me and made me think it was the wrong ensemble for the day. At times I would ask myself, “Why do I have to be so weird?” Well.. I love it this way. Thanks, have fun in Singapore!

  3. I appreciate the fact that you have both the courage to make a fashion statement that is true to your aesthetic and joy, and yet you also have the courage to bend and blend to the culture of your greater audience when appropriate – so that you continue to be an ambassador of fearless fashion who is in tune rather than uncaring. Mabuhay!

  4. I think we all hate that one percent (1%) or whatever the individual percentage. The important thing is you focus on the other 99%. Your sense of style is part of what defines you. I love fashion as well, but my style is more traditional and conservative. It is people like you that encourage me to ‘branch out’ sometimes…sport something I like but I would not normally wear. ThX…and keep up the great work. Mad lUV to you and Rumi! Nate from LA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>